Posts for: November, 2022
Dry skin can cause a lot of problems. Healthy, well-hydrated skin can help you look younger, provide better protection for your internal organs, and can help prevent infection.
So, what causes dry skin? There are quite a few factors that can cause dry skin, including:
- Environmental exposure to wind, sun, and cold or hot temperatures
- Stages of life including aging and menopause
- Medical conditions of the skin including rosacea and eczema
- Inadequate hydration from perspiring heavily and drinking too little water
- Exposure to harsh chemicals including alcohol and other cleaning agents
You can do a lot to help prevent dry skin, and it all begins with an excellent skincare regimen, which should include:
- Washing your skin using only mild cleansing products, not soap
- Gently patting your skin almost dry, leaving a layer of moisture still on your skin
- Using an alcohol-free toner, which will balance your skin’s pH and not dry out your skin
- Applying a moisturizer that contains an SPF of at least 15 to protect and hydrate your skin
You should change to a thick, creamy moisturizer during winter months and harsh weather. Other tips you can do to prevent dry skin include:
- Staying hydrated by drinking lots of water, especially in summer and when you exercise and perspire
- Wear protective clothing if you are outside in harsh weather, wind, sun, or hot or cold temperatures
- Always wear appropriate protective gear including gloves, a mask, safety glasses, and clothing when handling chemicals
If you suffer from dry skin, it’s important to visit your dermatologist, who is an expert at skin conditions. Your dermatologist can help if your dry skin is caused by age-related skin changes, or a medical skin condition like rosacea, eczema, or dermatitis.
Your dermatologist offers a wide range of skincare services to help you enjoy hydrated, beautiful, younger-looking skin. Your dermatologist may recommend:
- Serums and facials
- Hydration treatments
- Anti-aging treatments
- Skincare products and cosmetics
To learn more about prevention, causes, and treatments of dry skin, talk with your dermatologist today.
Taking care of your skin is important. Your skin protects your vital organs. Your skin also improves your appearance and helps you look younger. Taking care of your skin begins with a good skincare routine. Your dermatologist can help you establish the right skin care routine to help your skin look healthy and vibrant.
A good skincare routine should:
- Take only a few minutes
- Be easy, so you stick to it
- Be effective, so it enhances the appearance of your skin
A good skincare routine requires a few important steps, including:
Cleaning your skin at least once each day with mild cleansing products like gels or foams. Don’t use soap because it can dry your skin.
Patting your skin gently. Avoid rubbing your skin. Leave a light film of moisture on your skin.
Using an alcohol-free toner. Toners containing alcohol can leave your skin feeling dry and tight.
Applying moisturizer with an SPF of at least 15 to guard your skin from sun damage.
Remember these important tips to care for your skin:
- Always clean off your makeup before going to bed
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 if you plan on staying in the sun for a long period of time.
Summers and winters can be especially hard on your skin. Sun and wind exposure can age your skin. Remember to:
- Apply a sunscreen of at least SPF 30
- Try not to be out in the sun from 10 AM to 4 PM when damaging UV rays are the most harmful
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Wear sunglasses, a hat, and other protective clothing
- Use a heavier, cream moisturizer during the winter months
- Avoid lingering in a hot shower or bath because it can dry your skin
- Apply lip balm to keep your lips moist and prevent chapping
You can do a lot to keep your skin healthy, attractive, and young-looking. Your dermatologist can help. Your dermatologist offers a wide variety of treatments and services for anti-aging, skin conditions, acne, and more. To find out more about keeping a good skincare routine and how your dermatologist can help you, call your dermatologist today.